Renting Guide

Contact Us

Why rent through Arington

Arington are members of The Property Ombudsman (TPO), Propertymark ARLA (the Association of Residential Letting Agents) and Safe Agent. This means Arington adhere to the highest standards within the industry and funds held by Arington are protected thanks to our Client Money Protection (CMP).

Why choose Arington

Rental Process

Finding a property – Before your start your search, calculate your budget, decide your preferred location(s) along with any other search requirements and then register with Arington . Once registered you will receive property updates from Arington, as soon as properties become available.


Rental properties go quickly, when you see a property you like, contact Arington and arrange a viewing as soon as you can. Arington will accompany all viewings and answer any questions you may have. Arington’s full Tenant’s Terms and Conditions will be available for you upon the viewing or in our offices. A useful guide is the government’s How to Rent Guide which can be found here.

Select a property

Once you have decided upon a property, Arington will ask you to complete our paperwork confirming all the details surrounding the rental, and ask you to make a payment (see Arington’s fees for further information). Subject to the landlord’s agreement, we will progress with referencing and once successfully completed we will arrange to move you in.

Pre move in

Arington will keep you updated at every stage and confirm the steps required before you move in. In general, you will be asked to pay a move in balance, sign tenancy agreements etc, set up a standing order for the rent and provide identification. For acceptable valid forms of identification please see here.


Arington will assist in transferring utilities (council tax, electricity, gas, drinking water & waste water) into your name at the commencement and end of the tenancy. You will also be offered deals for media and telephone packages.

Tenants’ Contents insurance

The landlord’s insurance will not normally cover tenants’ contents should an incident occur. Arington recommend taking out some form of tenants’ contents insurance to include cover for accidental damage to the landlord’s contents, theft, fire or flood damage to personal items and / or key replacement due to loss or theft of keys.

Move in

Arington will confirm a time for a check in appointment where we will meet you at the property to settle you in and hand over the keys. Where instructed by the landlord, Arington will arrange for an Inventory to be produced. Please read the Inventory carefully and return it to Arington or the inventory clerk within 7 days of receipt. The inventory will be used at the end of the tenancy to determine any proposed deductions from the security deposit.

Property management

Where Arington act as managing agent, any maintenance / repairs should be reported report a repair.

Renting Guide FAQs

Question: What does referencing involve?

A: Referencing will include a credit check, electoral roll check, employment check to confirm affordability, previous landlord check and any other check deemed necessary.

Question: What is a guarantor?

Answer: A guarantor acts to indemnify the landlord should the tenant fail to meet their responsibilities as detailed within the tenancy agreement. A guarantor will undergo the same referencing process as a tenant.

Question: What form of identification do you require?

Answer: Contact Arington

Question: How do I secure a property?

Answer: Contact Arington

Question: What is a security deposit?

Answer: The tenant is responsible for returning the property in the condition it was provided, with the allowance of fair wear and tear. The security deposit is to ensure any damages over and above fair wear and tear can be corrected at the end of the tenancy.

Question: Where does my security deposit money go?

Answer: Either the landlord or Arington will be responsible for protecting your security deposit. Where Arington are responsible, we will protect your deposit in one of the government approved schemes. Whilst your money is with Arington it is protected thanks to our Client Money Protection (CMP).

Question: What are my responsibilities as a tenant?

Answer: The majority of your obligations will be detailed in the legal documentation. In the words of Lord Denning: ‘The tenant must take proper care of the place...He must clean the windows. He must mend the electric light when it fuses. He must unblock the sink when it is blocked by his waste. In short he must do the little jobs about the place which a reasonable tenant would do. In addition he must not damage the house, wilfully or negligently and he must see that his family and guests do not damage it. If they do he must repair it.’

Question: What does joint and severally liable mean?

Answer: If two or more tenants live in a property, each tenant is fully responsible for all the conditions of the tenancy agreement (e.g. paying rent), as well as being responsible in connection with the other tenants. Where there are guarantors they are also joint and severally liable with the tenants.

Question: How do I pay the rent?

Answer: Arington will ask you to set up a standing order prior to the commencement for the tenancy.

Question: What happens if something breaks / stops working?

Answer: Where Arington manage the property report it report a repair. If the landlord manages the property you will need to make contact with the landlord.